Sep 13, 2007

A Mighty Change

By Kari Diane Pike

It was supposed to be a happy day. My house rang with the busy, cheerful chatter of family and friends gathered together to go to the temple to witness the sealing of our daughter and son-in-law. My mind whirled with thoughts about how to keep the clutter under control, the bathrooms clean, plenty of food on the table and whether or not the younger kids took enough water to their soccer games. Of course, there was also the last minute rush to get out the door in time to get to Mesa by 7:30 am. It’s hard to smile and feel happy when your head aches and you feel like everything depends on you.

I tried to relax once we finally rounded everyone up and began our journey. I even had my favorite squishy pillow with me. Then I remembered that we needed to pick up an order of peaches and my daughter announced we needed to give a ride to one of her friends across town. I glanced at the clock on the dashboard. We were already going to be late. I looked up to see that we were nearly half way, transitioning from Interstate 17 South, across the loop bridge, to Interstate 10 East. Brilliant rays from the early morning sun caused my husband to reach up and pull his visor down. Seconds later, we both saw the heavy metal spring flying through the air, headed straight for the windshield. About the same time I closed my eyes and sucked all the oxygen out of the van, the spring smashed into the top of the windshield right where it meets the frame of the car. Glass showered onto the dashboard and into Doug’s lap. Fortunately, the visor protected his face and eyes. I couldn’t tell where the glass came from. There were lots of cracks in the windshield, but no visible holes. We were safe and the van was drivable. Doug just kept driving.

My heart still pounded as we entered the temple doors. I watched our daughter and her husband look into each other’s eyes and hug each other. I reached for my own husband’s hand and held it tight. I smiled at my dad and his wife and my sweet mother-in-law. I felt the presence of many others whom I could not see. And I knew. I knew we were not alone. I knew we had angels among us and that they had protected us in our journey to the temple that morning. I knew that no matter what, everything was going to be okay. I thought about the Savior and the Atonement and rejoiced in experiencing that mighty change in my heart. The day became more than happy. It became glorious.


  1. Kari,

    That's a wedding day you'll never forget! I'm so glad you were all kept safe on the road. I am indeed, quite sure, that angels were in attendance, before, during, and after your wonderful temple experience.

  2. Yes, Kari, we're never alone, and terror can turn to joy. Aren't you glad Doug chose to keep on driving, never losing sight of his goal to get the family safely to the wedding? He could have chosen to be angry, to pull off the freeway, to call the police or whatever, but he persisted with great self control. You also chose to overcome all that morning's adversity. I heard no blame, only awareness followed by praise and thanksgiving. Thumbs up! Thanks for sharing.

  3. Kari - I'm sure there were some exhausted angels that walked into the temple with you. I think this wedding day will be remembered as the day a miracle happened. Thanks for sharing.

  4. Thanks, Kari, for your always positive and spiritual insights. You calm me.


Thank you for visiting. Feel free to comment on our blogger's posts.*

*We do not allow commercial links, however. If that's not clear, we mean "don't spam us with a link to your totally unrelated-to-writing site." We delete those comments.