Okay, so I'll admit that I totally drug my feet with twitter. I DID NOT need another time sucker. Now that I'm on it? (thank you Marion Jensen) I get it. And I love it.
I've had dialogue with agents, with authors, with editors from some of the larger publishing houses. I've already learned a TON. I've found new friends, new crit partners, and new blogs to follow. And you know what? It takes almost NO TIME AT ALL.
My recommendations if you decide to jump into the tweeting world -
1. keep your username SHORT (I'm jolenebperry) and I wish I'd gone with joperry or something similar. In twitter, characters are of the essence...
2. Make lists - I have an agent list, a friend list, an author list. This way I can look at the tweets from ONLY one list at a time.
3. @jolenebperry means you're sending ME a message - but anyone who follows you will be able to see it.
4. # or hashtags are how you follow topics. Hashtags I follow all the time are - #wip #askagent #amwriting #yalitchat - there are a ton more good ones out there, but those are always up.
5. Use the app on your iphone or ipad - awesome. OR download tweetdeck - when I'm on actual twitter, it's not as easy to look at all my lists at once as it is on tweetdeck. I pull it up, leave it in the background, and the tweets just pop up as I'm working on my computer. When something interesting happens, I jump into the conversation.
So, I could go on and on and on, but if you haven't jumped in, I highly recommend it!!
I hope everyone is having the delightful weather I am - even way up here in Alaska. After one of the worst winters I remember, it's AWESOME to feel the warmth!!