By Stacy Johnson
My 13 year old is learning to write a persuasive essay. His assignment (and mine) was for me to write 10 reasons why he should continue to do something that he hates; he chose piano lessons. His assignment is to argue my reasons why playing the piano is important. It will be interesting to see the different perspectives we have about this. Here are my 10:
1. There is a connection between being able to read well and playing an instrument. I want you to be a great reader.
2. Talents are gifts from God. If we don’t develop these talents, we are wasting a precious gift.
3. I love hearing piano music in the morning while everyone gets ready for school.
4. I love to torture you.
5. You may go to a foreign country on your mission where nobody knows how to play and you will be required to accompany the Hymns at your meetings.
6. It is my money and I will spend it how I want to.
7. Piano can be considered a percussion instrument and I thought you wanted to be the best percussionist you could be. This can only help.
8. Girls dig guys who play the piano so in reality, I’m doing you a favor.
9. Piano lessons keep you off the street and away from drugs and gangs.
10. Because I said so.
I'll have to get back to you on his responses, but this should keep you all in suspense and checking back in a few days:)